Sunday, April 15, 2007

the power of words

it has been a hectic and crazy time for us. we have 4 kids and a dog, we're living in a rental home for this year, we're in a new town, new schools, new job, etc. The kids have been SO sick this year. We've had a total of 5 cases of strep! 2 for Danielle, 2 for Cameron and one for Ava. Cameron and Ava have it right now.....ugh

We took the kids out to eat today on the way to Milwaukee. In the crowded restaurant as we ate and practiced chaos control for our kids who were being shockingly well behaved, a complete stranger came up to me and said quietly

"We've been watching your dear family, and I just want to let you know that you have very well behaved, well mannered children"

I think I almost got teary eyed. I told the woman that she was very sweet, ad she just made my day! I mean that. In the midst of all the crap we have going on, and as frazzled as I feel, this total stranger just lifted my spirits!


I left the restaurant thinking I wanted to be more like her. So many times if I receive good service, see something wonderful or thoughtful I just think kind thoughts in my head. Why not speak up like she did today.....spread some joy and kindness? I will pay it forward :)

Melly

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I love that. Every once in a while someone will tell us that we've got a lovely family and it just feels so good. I am going to make it a point, when my kids are grown and gone, to tell young moms what lovely children they've got. Lovely post, Mel. ~cat