Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Life can change with every breath we take

Literally. period.

Yesterday evening we went to check on the house that we're building which is getting close to being done. As we were walking through the living room, there was a knock at the front door. We haven't moved in yet, and already have a visitor, YAY! It turned out to be a future neighbor, Paul. He is building a house 4 doors down in the only other lot available on our street. We talked to him for quite some time, and I am happy to know we will have such a nice man as a neighbor. He is scheduled to move in about the same time as us. He will live there with his 2 teenage kids. Here is when the bomb dropped. Last November, he and his wife signed the loan for their house, went to lunch, were having a nice afternoon joking and just hanging out. 2 hours later she was dead. He said she was a very sick woman and no one knew. It was cancer, and she was literally gone in 2 hrs. She never had one symptom before that day, and had no idea she was sick. As my heart was breaking for this friendly man, I felt curious to ask more, but didn't.......how could I? It was SO recent, so fresh in his mind, and his composure in telling the story was incredible as it was.
Life is like a balloon waiting to pop. So fragile. Something we can never take for granted. So, when I woke up this morning, looked out the window and saw a few inches of snow, blizzard like conditions when it should be spring, I did not complain. I was thankful I have woken up and have this day to live. Thankful I can spend time with Cameron's kindergarten class this morning. Thankful for the opportunity to be a positive influence on her and her classmates even if there are 2 little boys who love to try to shock me by saying bad words. Thankful I have healthy children this day, a family who loves me as much as I love them, and thankful for all things in my life. More than anything, Paul taught me in that short conversation that life is 10% what actually happens to you, and 90% your attitude.
Now I am off to wipe some kindergarten noses! I will do it with love and patience ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...how extremely sad. I hope you are able to get to know he and the kids better....Hope the morning at school was good!

living in PA said...

Wow, Mel. How sad but what a true awakening. We all have so much to be grateful for. Even snow in April (CRAP!).

Mom2Morgan.Dylan said...

Oh my gosh Mel, how incredibly sad and frightening and stoic. Hugs to you and your family tonight. ~Dawn

Anonymous said...

melly, that is just heartbreaking. I hate to hear a story like this but it really puts things into perspective.

Hug those beautiful kids of yours...

Lisa