Wednesday, March 19, 2008

we can only control ourselves

I tell my kids this all the time. Don't worry about what someone else has done, I say......the only person you can control is yourselves. Pay attention to that voice in your head, and do what you know is right.

Unfortunately I am too naive, and think that other people feel this way too. Then I am reminded periodically that this couldn't be farther from the truth.

On Feb 2st I was in a minor car accident. The 4 kids were with me in the car, it was 5 degrees outside, and I was travelling to meet Rich for dinner. A large utility truck pulled out from a driveway RIGHT in front of me, and I was faced with the decision of hitting them perpendicularly (T-bone) or swerving and running off the road. I chose to swerve, and I hit a snowbank. I thought there was no damage to the car, but I did get out to confront the other driver. The driver of the truck immediately apologized, gave me his business card and said "Sorry, I didn't see you". There was minimal damage to the car, but I decided not to call the police, instead just taking the guys information. After all, he did just apologize! I knew I would be stuck there for 2 hrs with the police in the FRIGID temps, and with kids who had not eaten dinner. No thanks.

The car cost a thousand dollars to fix, and my insurance company informed me yesterday that the other driver said I "totally overreacted and he was not even in the road".

There isn't much I can do. My insurance company will try to fight it, but honestly....who can prove what? If I had hit him, he would be in a HEAP of trouble, and have no excuse. It also may have caused injury!

Now I am left with the bill, AND the blatant lie from the other driver. I can't MAKE someone be a good person, do the right thing, tell the truth. I am trying not to be upset, but how COULDN'T I be?

I sent an email to the company where the guy works (he was IN a company vehicle and working at the time) telling them how unfortunate it is for them that they have such a dishonest employee.

You live and you learn........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel...I'm sorry, hun...that is crazy. I'm glad you sent the email! Julie

living in PA said...

I'm sorry. I had a friend in Miami who once told me to ALWAYS call the police. I'm with you, though. Hungry kids in the car and freezing temps...it's a tough call.
I'm sorry he is such a jerk, though. I'm glad you sent the email.