Tuesday, January 15, 2008

what does it mean to be a good person?

This is something I have spent many hours wondering. I mean, I think there are the black and white things that most of us could agree on, but the gray area is very large, I am realizing. And, when you are faced with someone who you feel in your heart is more than just a vexation to your soul, what do you do?

I am more than comfortable in my own skin, but my heart is very heavy as I have been questioned, doubted, and frankly, attacked. It has left me angry beyond words.

I am trying my very best and putting so much of my energy into not caring what others think about me as long as *I* know I am not trying to hurt others. No 2 people are going to agree on everything! Does it mean the other person is wrong? NO! Whether it is about raising children, our relationship with our spouses, neighbors and friends, how (and IF) we practice our Faith or whether an apple tastes better than an orange, we all make decisions that work best for ourselves and our own families. As much as it may be human nature to judge, we should all try to resist that urge and accept people as they are.

But, what DO you do when someone does not give you that same courtesy? Or, when the person you are trying very hard not to judge takes advantage of you repeatedly? I am a firm believer that our society today has lost a good sense of respect. Whatever happened to good manners anyway? What does one do when they are targeted or judged by someone else? How can we (and should we still be?) gracious without being a doormat? When is it (and IS it?) the right thing to do to decide that they shouldn't be a part of your life while this is still going on?

And, what do we teach and tell our children? What do we explain to them when they ask us if someone is a good person who we don't believe is? When they were younger, it was easier to get away with "it was a bad decision, they aren't a bad PERSON", but as they get older and are more aware of interactions and behaviors, it becomes much more difficult.

It seems that some are not at all concerned with these types of things, and it's depressing to me. It seems that some would rather not have relationships at all than to do so respectfully.

I am learning to let go......and to live each moment knowing I can only change and better myself, and that I shouldn't worry about things I cannot change.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

((Melly) No answers to your questions, unfortunately, but I think you already know that we all have to come to terms with the answers on our own anyway.

I wish there was a way to help you carry your burdens and answer your questions right now. Have faith that you are a loving and lovely woman, and the fact that you're even considering these questions speaks volumes about your character and integrity.

Much love to you, my dear.

Cat