Saturday, May 17, 2008

it's not about Oprah

there has been much hype in the media lately about Oprah and her recent book club selection and online class. The book is titled "A New Earth: Awakening to your Life's Purpose"

I have read several chapters of the book, and have found it so incredible and insightful so far. It is a bit wordy, and heavy reading, but the time and thought spent really digesting the authors words are fantastically worth it.

I understand that Oprah has been accused of trying to start her own religion, become some form of cult leader or turn people away from their own religion (specifically Christianity). Having read much of it, I frankly do not see how it could be interpreted that way, but I also realize that a woman in her position is the target of many, whether the intentions are good or not.

I wish that I could convey my feelings about the book as eloquently as it is written. In a strange way I found comfort in those pages, and more than ever I truly believe that we are not our bodies, we are not our constant stream of thoughts, and no doubt the universe is unfolding exactly as it should be. Being present in each moment of my life is something I am now aware of, and something I am working towards. Being still with myself and realizing that the ego of every human drives so much of our actions and words is now an understanding I possess. Yet, I also realize that what I understand is the tip of an enormous iceburg.

More than anything it has allowed me, and almost given me permission to accept my own feelings about things. Realize that they are not often ME, but my ego, and recognizing that is the beginning step in making progress in controlling my own stream of consciousness. It has shown me the path to forgiveness, and that it is not something I can force or will myself to do. It has illustrated the ownership I must take in situations that even make the quest for forgiveness necessary. And yet, it has given me hope for a life and a mind filled with peace, love and respect regardless of those variables we cannot change.

All of those things can go hand in hand with any religion, and God....whatever any of us perceives that to be. It is a book most certainly not out to change someone's beliefs, but in my opinion, enhance them and live more fully in conjunction with them.

For the most part, the day-to-day lessons I have taken away from it is that when I am present in every moment and really present rather than just standing there with my mind a million miles away, I know that anything is possible. I know that I am taking care of what matters RIGHT NOW and I can see the difference that makes in my attitude. Isn't it great that we have been given each moment? That we can make of it what we want? That we can connect with others and ourselves on this level? It is humbling to see the difference, and to realize the potential that is in each and every person. It is our responsibility to live a life of full consciousness as much as we are able, and to realize the impact it will have. It has enabled a peace within me that is remarkable, and a peace that I long for and work for in my home, neighborhood, and community........

Rich and I talk about this a lot. We have a responsibility of remarkable proportions......to create a life of peace and understanding that surround our children. After we are gone, our children will be all that is left of us on this earth......don't we want to leave them with that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This news publisher offers articles related to pediatrics, kids health, autism, breaking research and recent news about family wellness.
http://www.dailyrx.com/